Tinode is meant as a replacement for XMPP. On the surface it's a lot like open source WhatsApp or Telegram.
The promise of XMPP was to deliver federated instant messaging: anyone would be able to spin up an IM server capable of exchanging messages with any other XMPP server in the world. Unfortunately XMPP never delivered on this promse. Instant messengers are still a bunch of incompatible walled gardens, similar to what AoL of the late 1990s was to the open Internet.
The goal of this project is to actually deliver on XMPP's original vision: create a modern open platform for federated instant messaging with emphasis on mobile communication. A secondary goal is to create a decentralized IM platform which is much harder to track and block by the governments.
- Read API documentation.
- For support, general questions, discussions post to https://groups.google.com/d/forum/tinode.
- For bugs and feature requests open an issue.
Login as one of
frank. Password is
<login>123, e.g. login for
alice123. You can discover other users by email or phone by prefixing them with
tel: respectively. Emails are
firstname.lastname@example.org, phones are
If you register a new account you are asked for an email address to send validation code to. For demo purposes you may use
123456 as a universal validation code. The code you get in the email is also valid.
A text-only command line client implements every possible command.
The demo server is reset (all data wiped) every night at 3:15am Pacific time. An error message
User not found or offlinemeans the server was reset while you were connected. If you see it on the web, reload and relogin. On Android log out and re-login. If the database was changed, delete the app then reinstall.
As generally accepted, when you register a new account you are asked for an email address. The server will send an email with a verification code to that address and you can use it to validate the account. To make things easier for testing, the server will also accept
123456as a verification code. Remove line
tinode.confto disable this option.
The demo server is configured to use ACME TLS implementation with hard-coded requirement for SNI. If you are unable to connect then the most likely reason is your TLS client's missing support for SNI. Use a different client.
- Android, web, and command line clients.
- One-on-one messaging.
- Group messaging with every member's access permissions managed individually. The maximum number of members is configurable (128 by default).
- Topic access control with permissions for various actions.
- Server-generated presence notifications for people, topics.
- Support for custom authentication backends.
- Sharded clustering with failover.
- Persistent message store, paginated message history.
- Java bindings (dependencies: Jackson, Java-Websocket). Suitable for Android but with no Android SDK dependencies.
- Websocket, long polling, and gRPC over TCP transports.
- JSON or protobuf version 3 wire protocols.
- TLS with Letsenrypt or conventional certificates.
- User search/discovery.
- Rich formatting of messages, markdown-style: *style* → style.
- Inline images and file attachments.
- Message status notifications: message delivery to server; received and read notifications; typing notifications.
- Support for client-side caching.
- Ability to block unwanted communication server-side.
- Anonymous users (important for use cases related to tech support over chat).
- Mobile push notifications using FCM.
- Support for storage and out of band transfer of large objects like video files.
- Plugins to extend functionality like enabling chat bots.
- iOS client bindings and client.
- End to end encryption with OTR for one-on-one messaging and undecided method for group messaging.
- Group messaging with unlimited number (or hundreds of thousands) of members with bearer token access control.
- Hot standby.
- Different levels of message persistence (from strict persistence to "store until delivered" to purely ephemeral messaging).
- Push notification in the webapp.
Words 'chat' and 'instant messaging' in Chinese, Russian, Persian and a few other languages.
- 聊天室 即時通訊
- чат мессенджер
- 인스턴트 메신저 پیامرسانی فوری گپ تراسل فوري
- Nhắn tin tức thời
- Mensageiro instantâneo
- Pesan instan