Viska is an XMPP client on Android with lots of modern features while focusing
on security. Viska heavily relies on
libviska-java so most features and
drawbacks can be found in its project page. Some highlights of Viska include:
- Strictly conforms to XMPP standards without inventing custom protocols that breaks the federation.
- Supports audio chats (only, other features coming soon).
- Force encrypted communications
Rationale and Audience
"Viska" is Swedish for "whisper", which implies that this project puts secure communications at the top priority. We hope the apps built by the Viska project can help people in the world enjoy the freedom of speech without having too much technical knowledge.
In addition to this, enterprise companies can also benefit from using the Viska project and providing private XMPP services to employees, in which way they can protect classified information while improving productivity with modern communications. Since the Viska projects are open source softwares and private XMPP servers are trusted by the company, employees can collaborate using instant messaging and video conferencing without worrying about being eavesdropped.
The Android app Viska is free software and is licensed under the GNU General
Public License v3.0. The license can be found in the
Please refer to the same section in the
Building the app
At the moment,
libviska-java is not yet available in JCenter. In order to
build the app, you may need to build
libviska-java first and install it to
your local Maven cache.
- Supports Android Wear
- Supports Android TV
- Supports exchanging contents via close-range connections
- Supports video conferencing
- Supports text messaging with OMEMO
- Supports sending audio, pictures and geographic locations
- Supports file transferring
The Viska project was orignally a capstone project of 3 undergraduate students from National Taichung University of Education:
With Professor Lin-Huang Chang (張林煌) as the mentor.
The conception stage of the project started in late October 2016 and the coding phase officially started in February 2017. Since a graduate project lasts only 2 semesters, the goal of the project was only to implement the audio chat while skipping the very basic XMPP messagings.
- 公共技术点之依赖注入 公共技术点之 Java 注解 Annotation PagerSlidingTabStrip Android-Universal-Image-Loader CalendarListView NineOldAnimations Dagger EventBus Volley ViewPagerIndicator xUtils android-Ultra-Pull-To-Refresh 公共技术点之 View 绘制流程 BaseAdapterHelper SlidingMenu 公共技术点之 View 事件传递 android-lockpattern CircularFloatingActionMenu DynamicLoadApk PhotoView Jave Proxy discreteSeekBar 公共技术点之 Java 反射 Reflection Side Menu.Android cling 公共技术点之 Android 动画基础 HoloGraphLibrary