Version 3.3, by David Gilbert, 7 November 2017.
(C)opyright 2013-2017, by Object Refinery Limited. All rights reserved.
JFreeSVG is a graphics library for the Java(tm) platform that allows you to generate content in SVG format using the standard Java2D drawing API (
Graphics2D). JFreeSVG is light-weight, fast, and has no dependencies other than the Java runtime (1.6 or later).
The home page for the project is:
The Javadocs for the
SVGGraphics2D class gives examples for typical usage, and if you are already familiar with the Java2D APIs, then all you need to do is add the JFreeSVG dependency and start coding.
Oracle provides tutorials for Java2D here:
There are some demonstration applications in the JFree-Demos project at GitHub.
JFreeSVG is published to the Central Repository. You can include it in your projects with the following dependency:
<dependency> <groupId>org.jfree</groupId> <artifactId>jfreesvg</artifactId> <version>3.3</version> </dependency>
You can build
JFreeSVG from sources using Maven:
mvn clean install
JFreeSVG is free software under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 3 (GPLv3) or later. The license file is included in this distribution (gpl-3.0.txt). If you prefer not to be bound by the terms of the GPLv3, you can purchase an alternative license from Object Refinery Limited (please e-mail email@example.com for details, or check the JFreeSVG home page).
Please note that JFreeSVG is distributed WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Please refer to the license for details.
Version 3.3 (7 November 2017)
- the default
DEFSkey prefix should not begin with a number;
- transferred demo code to the JFree-Demos project to streamline the distribution process.
Version 3.2 (9 October 2016)
- added facility to specify
- added option to suppress
heightfrom SVG element;
- add option to include
viewBoxand associated parameters in the SVG element;
drawImage(Image, AffineTransform, ImageObserver)(bug #6);
create()method (bug #5).
Version 3.1 (30 April 2016)
- use fractional metrics for
ellipseelement to draw/fill
- handle alpha in gradient paints.
Version 3.0 (8 June 2015)
- added handling for
BasicStrokecap, join and miterlimit;
- added ZIP option when writing SVG to files;
- added demo for exporting Swing UIs to SVG;
- fixed handling of
- fixed y-coordinate bug in
- added workaround for
ClassCastExceptionwhen exporting Swing UIs on MacOSX with Nimbus L&F.
Version 2.1 (4 August 2014)
- fixed bug with element end tag for JFreeChart;
- fixed compilation error in demos.
Version 2.0 (30 July 2014)
- added configurable text-rendering and shape-rendering properties to the SVG element;
create()method so that Swing components can be rendered correctly;
- modified the font render context info to fix glyph positioning for text drawn as vector graphics;
- write colors using
rgba(), and write the alpha value to separate opacity attribute;
- changed the license from AGPLv3 to GPLv3.
Version 1.9 (6 May 2014)
defsKeyPrefixattribute to allow unique ids for DEFS when generating multiple SVG elements for use in a single HTML page;
- added support for
LinearGradientPaintand improved existing
- added support for arbitrary key, value pairs in the
zeroStrokeWidthattribute to allow configuration of handling for
BasicStrokewith zero width (which the Java specification states should be "rendered as the thinnest possible line");
- fixed a bug in the
drawImage(Image, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, ImageObserver)method.
Version 1.8 (11 April 2014)
- added additional
KEY_BEGIN_GROUPoptions, plus special integration support for Orson Charts;
- added special handling for shape drawing when the
Strokeis not an instance of
- explicitly set encoding to UTF-8 for
Version 1.7 (25 February 2014)
SVGHints.KEY_END_GROUPto allow grouping of SVG output;
drawString()to include id if
- fix transparent colors issue;
- fixed minor issue with meta tag in HTML output file.
Version 1.6 (18 December 2013)
- fixed a minor packaging error in version 1.5.
Version 1.5 (18 December 2013)
FontMapperto ensure that Java logical font names map to the equivalent SVG generic font names;
SVGHints.KEY_IMAGE_HREFto allow image references to be specified;
SVGHints.KEY_ELEMENT_IDto allow an element id to be supplied for the next element to be written;
- fixed a bug for special characters in
- fixed a bug with coordinate formatting in certain locales.
Version 1.4 (24 October 2013)
getSVGFontStyle()now specifies font-size units as required by the SVG standard. Fixes a bug that is visible when the SVG output is rendered in FireFox (which is more strict about the standard than other browsers);
- added text-rendering attribute to the SVG text element generated by the
- added new key and values to
SVGHintto configure the value of the text-rendering attribute.
Version 1.3 (24 September 2013)
- fixed clipping bug with transforms applied after clip is set;
- fixed bug with
- fixed "not well-formed" parsing issue for Firefox;
preserveAspectRatioattribute for images;
Version 1.2 (13 September 2013)
- added SVG and XLINK namespaces to SVG element;
- fixed capitalisation of
linearGradientelement, to pass W3C validator;
- added support for Java2D's
- added new demo
Version 1.1 (4 September 2013)
drawString(AttributedCharacterIterator, float, float)using
drawGlyphVector()to fill rather than stroke shapes (for
- removed the PDF code (to a separate project, OrsonPDF);
- fixed clipping bug in
CanvasGraphics2Dto control number of decimal places for numbers written to script;
Version 1.0 (31 July 2013)
- Initial public release.
Contact / Questions
If you have any questions or feedback about JFreeSVG, please post in the forum:
...or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.