Port of cups4j to Android.
See it live on the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.github.benoitduffez.cupsprint
See it live on f-droid.org: https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=io.github.benoitduffez.cupsprint
Original work was created by Jon Freeman, it included an app that reacts to the SEND intent to print documents.
This app was modified in several ways:
- project structure converted to gradle format
- added support for Android PrintService so that it can print documents straight from almost all apps
- removed all legacy code that allowed printing without the use of Android PrintService (this is removed because of
minSdkVersion=19, meaning all targets of this app are
- fixed SSL code to properly handle self-signed certificates (as it is likely the case with home printers)
- removed jars and added source code to be compatible with an f-droid.org publication
Print service works at the framework level:
See the Wiki for more information about how to use it.
As per the code, the following has been added:
- a service in the AndroidManifest.xml file that registers the app as a PrintService
CupsPrinterDiscoverySession.java: handles printer discovery and printer management
CupsService.java: handles Android framework connectivity and print jobs management
- removed all legacy code (pre API 19)
This app wasn't widely tested, it needs your help for better quality. If you find bugs, either submit a new issue or fork/fix/submit PR.
Please use the
develop branch for testing and troubleshooting.
Also, you can subscribe on the Play Store to receive beta versions of this app: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/io.github.benoitduffez.cupsprint
masterbranch is code published to Google Play.
jonbanjobranch is the app containing all the legacy code written by Jon Freeman
fdroidbranch was created in an effort to be compatible with f-droid.org; however, this effort was merged into develop and is intended to be merged into master.
This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU Lesser General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA
Original license information by Jon Freeman:
Redistribution and use of AndroidCupsPrint in source and binary forms, with or without modification, is permitted provided this notice is retained in source code redistributions and that recipients agree that AndroidCupsPrint is provided "as is", without warranty of any kind, express or " implied, including but not limited to the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement. In no event shall the copyright holders or anyone distributing the software be liable for any damages or other liability, whether in contract, tort or otherwise, arising from, out of or in connection with the software or the use or other dealings in the software.
- A modified version of cups4j 0.63. The original source code and further details about cups4j may be found at http://www.cups4j.org/ (licensed under the LGPL license)
- JmDNS This is licensed under the Apache License